Sugar Will Kill You – Killing You Slowly
Years ago, when I was doing my syndicated coast-to-coast radio show, a man called in one day and asked if he were to do only one thing to improve his health, what would that be. I thought for a moment and said “get the sugar out of your life.” My answer would be the same today.
Sugar is a deadly poison, and it will kill you. Sugar is so damaging to health that animals fed water alone live substantially longer than those fed sugar and water. In other words, eating sugar will kill you faster than eating nothing at all!
Refined sugar is destructive to health. It causes vitamin, mineral and hormone imbalances, throwing the body into biochemical chaos for several hours, causing permanent damage to the body. That’s why consuming sugar daily is death by installment. Relatively new to the human diet, refined sugar, as we know it, was first introduced in about 1812. But it wasn’t until the twentieth century that it became widely available. In 1900, per capita consumption in the United States was less than ten pounds per year. Today it is around 160 pounds, and most Americans now average about 20 percent of our calories from this deadly substance. Eating sugar rapidly increases the sugar content of the blood. Our bodies were never designed to handle refined sugar, and the damage it is doing is catastrophic to your health. This must stop! Sugar is causing an epidemic of Alzheimer’s, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, hormone imbalance, hypertension, liver disease, obesity, osteoporosis, tooth decay, and many other health problems that are bankrupting us.
Good health is when your body chemistry is balanced and your body is self-regulating and self-repairing. Disease is when your chemistry is out of balance. Sugar, even in small amounts, damages your health by throwing the entire body out of balance and into a state of biochemical chaos.
Just two teaspoons of sugar (far less than a typical soft drink or bowl of breakfast cereal) has an enormous impact on your health, disrupting critical chemistry for several hours. If you eat sugar morning, noon and evening, as most people do, your body will be in chaos all day, every day. You are literally killing yourself in slow motion.
Below are a few of the problems caused by eating sugar:
- Sugar damages immune cells and depresses immunity, making you susceptible to colds, flu, cancer and other immune-related diseases.
- Sugar makes you acidic. Sugar is acid forming, and when consumed every day, it produces a continuously over-acid condition, promoting cancer, osteoporosis, and other diseases.
- Sugar causes diabetes, tooth decay and heart disease.
- Sugar causes mineral deficiencies, including calcium, chromium, magnesium and zinc. When you don’t have enough minerals, your body can’t produce the digestive enzymes needed for good digestion. Undigested food particles can enter into your bloodstream, creating serious problems such as allergies and autoimmune diseases. This is why foods consumed with sugar (such as wheat, corn, milk and eggs) become the most common allergens.
- Sugar also causes a calcium/phosphorous imbalance, which makes the body less capable of breaking proteins down into the amino acids that are required to make essential body chemicals.
- Sugar depletes the body of B-complex vitamins, which are essential for the proper functioning of almost every process in the body.
- Sugar increases the hormone insulin and throws all the other hormones out of balance. Abnormal hormone levels are even affecting puberty. A 2015 study in Human Reproduction found that young girls who consume the most sugar start their menstrual cycles at younger ages, and this has a negative effect on their future health.
- Sugar figures prominently in emotional and psychological disorders. Eating sugar leads to imbalanced moods, poor concentration, phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorders, and depression. It is also a key player in behavior disorders such as ADD and ADHD.
- Evidence indicates sugar may be a leading cause of Alzheimer’s.
As if the above weren’t bad enough, there is another problem you need to know about—advanced glycation end products (AGEs). AGEs are chemicals that are formed when sugar reacts with proteins, lipids, or other organic molecules. AGEs are something you want to avoid because they cause oxidative and inflammatory reactions that make you old and sick. AGEs are known to promote heart disease, high blood pressure, cataracts and arthritis.
Every time you eat sugar and raise the sugar content of your blood, you are encouraging the formation of AGEs. You can also eat food that already contains AGEs. Foods cooked at high temperatures such as in frying, barbecuing and broiling, and the fattiest foods have the highest amount of AGEs. Allowing food to “brown” while cooking produces AGEs. Especially avoid combining sugar with protein, such as a sweet dessert after a steak dinner, orange juice with eggs in the morning, or a ham baked with brown sugar on top.
AGEs cause many of the devastating complications of diabetes. AGEs contribute to cardiovascular disease by causing plaque formation and the thickening of artery walls, which causes them to lose elasticity, creating circulation problems. Research continues to confirm that storing AGEs in the body causes continuous inflammation and oxidative stress that damages tissues and promotes aging and disease.
The most important universal dietary recommendation I can make is to cut as much sugar from your diet as possible. Children need special protection from their parents. You must ask yourself how often you want to damage your body this way. Sugar ages you. How fast do you want to age?